Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through links on this page, y2kcenter.org may collect a share of the sale or other compensation. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
You are watching: My dog ate a tootsie roll
Tootsie Rolls and Pops are candies enjoyed around the world! Who could avoid eating something that’s something like taffy with a chocolate flavoring? But what about sharing these with your dog?
Check Price on Amazon
Sugar & Chocolate: A Bad Combination for Dogs
Sugar, on its own, is bad for dogs. This is because too much sugar can lead to tooth decay, weight gain, obesity and even diabetes. When a dog has too much sugar, they may experience times of hyperactivity when they have a sugar high, and then they have a low, when the sugar high crashes down. Dogs may also experience agitation, blood shot eyes, urinary tract/kidney infection, and more.Then there’s chocolate. Chocolate is a known toxin to dogs. This is because it contains two substances that dogs are not able to metabolize: theobromine and caffeine. Even small amounts of chocolate can be very bad for your dog due to these ingredients. While it may seem that Tootsie Rolls don’t contain a large amount of chocolate, they do have enough to make your dog very sick.
It’s important to note that different types of chocolate don’t have the same amount of theobromine in them—it varies. For example, dark chocolate has more theobromine that milk chocolate.Not only that, but your dog’s weight and the amount and type of chocolate he’s eaten will determine how toxic the chocolate will be for him.
Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate:DiarrheaVomitingAgitationHyperactivityExcessive droolingIncrease in thirstRacing heartHigh blood pressureHeart arrhythmiasSeizuresTremors/twitchingCardiac failureMuscle rigidityCollapseDeathIf you notice these symptoms, then call your vet immediately—this is a life-threatening medical emergency. With fast treatment, most dogs will make a full and complete recovery.As you can see, chocolate and sugar, even in Tootsie Rolls, is not safe to give your dog. And if your dog accidentally eats a Tootsie Roll, then it’s extremely important to seek treatment right away.
The contents of the y2kcenter.org website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!
dog caredog healthdog safety
SHARE THIS PAGE
Tom has always loved to write since he was little – he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!
Dog Parvo SymptomsOctober 18, 2021Best Dog Incontinence ProductsOctober 17, 2021Old Dog IncontinenceOctober 16, 2021Diabetic Dog TreatsOctober 15, 2021Best Dog Food for Senior DogsOctober 14, 2021How Old Is My Dog?October 13, 2021